Introducing Caleb James:)



Hello!
Sorry it's been...quite awhile...we had a minor life-changing event about (exactly) 3 months ago -- the birth of the most adorable little boy ever. Yes, we are biased, but seriously -- how cute?!
(Not so) little Caleb James made is debut into the world slightly more dramatically that we (especially I) thought necessary. As my Dad put it in their Christmas letter "He finally convinced the doctors that he was just not proportionally created to enter the world with out a C-Section"
Not what we were expecting but he made his screaming entrance on December 20,2011 at 7:13pm. Exactly 4 days later than my due date. I went into labor about 12 hours after I scheduled an induction -- Mister says that he is just like me and doesn't appreciate change so he needed to be bribed to be born:)
"Little Mister" weighed in at a whopping 8lbs 15oz and was 22in long! As Mister said when he updated our families "he is perfect in every way".

Every time I look at him I think of Psalm 139 -- he is truly "fearfully and wonderfully made". And I wonder how anyone could possibly deny the existance of a Creator when they look at their newborn baby. He is truly a miracle! 

Our sweet son is the happiest, smiley-est, most mellow little man...except when he's supposed to be sleeping.
He does NOT like sleep (this picture is quite decieving -- doesnt he look like a sleeping angel?). I like to think its just because he enjoys being with us so much that he just can't bear the thought of being in his crib away from us. Probably not the reason, but it makes me feel better when I have to go get him after his chronic 45 min catnaps:)


Bubby turned 3 months on March 20th! He is (as of a couple days ago at his 3 month appt) 12lbs 3oz and 25in long...percentile-wise that is over 100th in height and about 30th in weight! Hm, I wonder who he is going to take after? When the nurse measures him she looks over at me with this confused face...pause...
then I say "Oh, his dad is 6'3" "
The light dawns.
 "Ohhh ok that makes more sense". Yes, thank you lady -- make it very clear that my son will probably be taller than me at 5 years old. Awesome. That will make disciplining VERY effective. He is long and lean and (except for making his paranoid mommy break out in hives over whether he is eating enough) the picture of health.
This active little guy is hard to take a picture of because he is always moving!


He rolled over (tummy to back) at 4 weeks and happily practiced his new skill every time mommy tried to institute "tummy time". 

We resorted to the boppy where he lounges contentedly at least for awhile.
He is absolutlely happiest standing, which he seriously (not exagerating) can almost do on his own! If he only knew how to hold onto a table or something he would be "cruising" -- he has the leg strength for it. And he grins every time we stand him up:)
He smiled for the first time at about 5 weeks and we keep noticing more dimples! He just loves to smile -- all you have to do is look at him and his face splits -- I can't imagine anything more fun:)
I went back to work last week, which I was totally dreading. It isnt too bad, mainly because I know Caleb is home with Mister and enjoying Father-son time! And Mister is great with him -- Caleb loves him:) What he does NOT like is drinking from a bottle! He had no problems a month ago and then on my first night back at work he would have nothing to do with it! Of course the knowledge that he wasn't eating did nothing for Mister's sleep, or my concentration on work. Bubs ended up going 14hours without eating...and was perfectly happy oddly enough. And then the next night that I had to go to work Mister found the secret. Our little oddball will drink his bottle if he is stripped to his diaper, laying on his back, kicking.

Yes, you read that right -- strange child that he is. It took Mister 45 min to get 2oz in him, and the whole time Caleb was cooing and literally running in place (probably burned off all the calories as he was eating them). But whatever works right? Maybe eventually he will at least be able to eat with his clothes still on... 
Overall, We are slowly adjusting to the fact that life will never be the same. Both in a "seriously-I-never-knew-I-could-function-on-this-little-sleep-will-I-ever-really-sleep-again" kind of way, and also a "wow-how-did-I-live-without-this-kind-of-incredible-joy-and-cuteness-in-my-life" kind of way:) I dont think either of us could have predicted how tired we would be, or how much work (both mental and physical) such a tiny person could require...or how much we would absolutely love being parents:)

No comments:

Post a Comment