Before and After


I used to spend alot of time perusing decorating blogs, and one of the really common posts is a before/after post. The popular blogs "host" a before and after day usually about once a month, and other bloggers "link up" their before and after posts, such as a dresser makeover, or even a whole kitchen remodel. I happened on one such post a few weeks ago, and had a quick moment of feeling disappointed, because seriously the last time I did one of those projects was SO long ago. My before/after post would be quite different...
Life before Caleb, though it was only 9-ish months ago, is such a blur in some ways! I wonder often how I filled my time, and why I always felt so busy! Granted, I was working full instead of part time but still! I get about the same amount done in a day now, and yet most of my time is filled with chasing after/entertaining a very small, very fast, very cute little person. However,  I was glancing at some Christmas pictures from last year the other day, and noticed that there are definately some differences in some areas of our lifestyle. This was our living room a few weeks before the Bubs was born:



And the kitchen area:



And you know, it pretty much stayed that way. I have *ahem* a slight twinge of OCD, and so (though he's not as quick to admit it;) does Garrett. So it was never difficult for us to keep things pretty much picked up all the time. The day after my third nightshift every week, I would deep clean the house. All in one day. Every week. Seriously, I liked it that way--we both did! I used to groccery shop once every 2 weeks, get all that we needed, and if I thought of a random errand while I was out, I could meander over and finish that up. I could "plan" my meals pretty much when I wanted and eat in peace. And now, the living room "After":



and the kitchen area:



This was taken just now, just after a serious playtime, breakfast, and more playtime. And you know, it pretty much stays that way until bedtime. Its pointless to put away all his toys during nap, because his first order of buisness is to dump over his basket and start again when he wakes! So, this is how my OCD must live. Before Garrett gets home, I pick up somewhat, and then we pick up after Caleb goes to sleep...but then we start again the next day. There is NO WAY I can clean the whole house in one day anymore, so I do a little each day. Which, to some people means that a part of the house is clean every day...but to my OCD it means that the OTHER parts of the house are NOT clean most days. Now I carefully plan when I can rush out to the store between naps/feedings, leaving a messy house, coming back to a messy house, and more days than not, forgetting to eat either breakfast or lunch...alot of people told me that my life will forever be split into "before kids" and "after kids" and oh how right they were...

Oh but wait, I forgot one part of the "After" picture:




...and seriously that sweet face makes ALL the difference! Every mess, every sticky finger print on our nice tan couches, every task left undone because I had to stop and discipline, or just stop to play, is so, so totally worth it. And so, even though I wouldn't have a before/after project to contribute to a popular blogger's monthly party, because I haven't had time to do a real decorating project since December...I choose the "After", every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment